We recently traveled to San Jose (unfortunately for a funeral) and as we had a long road trip in front of us – I thought to experiment with a 600 mile time lapse…
With the suction cup mount, I set up one of the Contours to snap a photo every 5 seconds. The back-of-the-envelop calculation for Corvallis to San Jose in under 3.5 minutes pencils out to something like 11,000 mph!
Sure – that’s fast. Like faster than Tesla-fast… but, I thought, how fast is it?
Well, after a bit of internet checking, I cobbled together the following info:
- Bullet Train: 311 MPH
- Sound: 767 MPH
- McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom II: 1,606 MPH
- Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird: 2,193 MPH
- Muzzle speed (modern rifle): 2,659 MPH
- North American X-15: 4,519 MPH
- Our trip to San Jose: 11,000 MPH
- Space Shuttle: 17,500 MPH
- Santa’s Sleigh: 8,300,000 MPH
- Light: 671,000,000 MPH
Bottom line? It’s tough to compete with Santa.