On Sunday, I trucked on up to the Pro Life Rally in Salem, OR. As it turns out – I hadn’t yet been to the capital building in the 15 years I’ve lived in the state – but eventually found it after at least one backtrack.
Rain threatened the folks who gathered to listen – and outside of a few light showers – it wasn’t all that wet – until one amazing downpour that lasted only a few minutes just as the group began their walk around the capital building.
As for the wall – it’s the traveling 2007 Abortion Memorial. It was created by OSU Right to Life – and sponsored by Corvallis Right to Life. The narrative reads:
These 11,861 names are a tribute to those who never had a chance to receive names. Though the names are fictitious the lives lost are very real. These numbers come from the Oregon Dept. of Human Services, and reflect the number of abortions performed each month for the year 2007 in the state of Oregon.
Music for the event was provided by the Bethany Baptist Praise Band.
- Gayle Atteberry: Oregon Right to Life Executive Director
- Oregon Representative Kevin Cameron: House Republican Leader
- Dave McGarrah: Pastor at First Church of the Nazarene, Salem
- Dr. Joan Sage: Oregon Right to Life President
- Archbishop John Vlazny: Diocese of Portland
- Lois Anderson: Oregon Right to Life Political Director (not shown here)
- Alexa Sleadd: Oregon Right to Life Oratory contest winner (not shown here)
So – here are a few more images from the afternoon – in no particular order: