Yeah – it’s been over a month since I’ve been back from the last backpacking trip – but I’m still tidying up my notes for gear and food – all in hopes of keeping the gear list tidy – and the pack a bit lighter by keeping non-essentials at home.
Of course – a key part of my list is photography gear. The kit I carry isn’t large or ulta light. But – on this last trip it did get heavier. For example – I swapped the 24mm prime for a zoom and the Gorillapod stayed at home in favor of the (slightly) heavier tripod + ballhead. As this was just a weekend trip – the (slightly) heavier kit was a good trade-off for the increased flexibility.
The big experiment for this trip was the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW + Toploader Chest harness. I’ll try to get a full review here soon – but in short – two thumbs up.
So, in no particular order – here’s the list:
- Camera: Canon 50D
- Lens: Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
- Filters: B+W Circular Polarizer, B+W 10 Stop Neutral Density, Cokin P Filter Holder, Hitech 2 Stop Graduated ND P Filter, Hitech 3 Stop Graduated ND P Filter
- Bag: Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW + Lowepro Toploader Chest harness.
- Memory: 8GB cards (x7)
- Batteries: 3 Canon batteries for 50D
- Tripod + Ballhead: Gitzo tripod + Joby X ballhead (ballhead review here)
- Shutter remote: Surprisingly – I didn’t use it on this last trip. None of my exposures exceeded 30 seconds – and when on a tripod – I simply used the 2 second shutter delay setting.
- Misc: 4 lens cloths (just in case…), Moleskin + pen (but I used it mostly to record my food consumption so that I hopefully won’t bring too much next year…)
- Gorp: my favorite backpacking mix… plain M&M’s, honey roasted peanuts, and raisins – in a 1:1:1 ratio.
Feedback? Thoughts? What’s on your list?