No matter if your kit is brand new or has seen near 100,000 clicks – or if you’re shooting a P&S or the latest DSLR – the gear relies on the photographer – and the photographer relies on the photo community at large.
That photo community is complex – and folks interact with it in a number of ways: books, magazines, workshops, local photo groups, web, friends at lunch, …
And then there are blogs. My BloglinesRSS feed points to a number of photography blogs. Over the next bit here – I thought I’d roll out a large chunk of my list. Hopefully, you’ll find some in here that work for you.
And one of my criteria? Work friendly – no questionable material. The first time a photoblog on my list pops up with something that will raise eyebrows – it’s off the feed.
If you’d like to add anything – please drop me a comment.
So, without further delay – here’s the first 25 – offered alphabetical order:
- 1001 Noisy Cameras: 1001NCs has all sorts of stuff here from reviews to lists to new gear rumors. Good stuff.
- 1854: From The British Journal of Photography.
- A Little News: Written by Gary Cosby, Jr of the Decatur Daily. His blog tagline is “the blog for small town, but not small time photojournalism“.
- A Small Work A Day: a near daily image.
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips: The title says it all. By Matt Kloskowski from Photoshop User TV.
- Aviary Blog: I subscribe to this blog to see what this online editing tool is up to. I haven’t subscribed yet – but it looks cool.
- Best Seat in the House:OK – I’ve mentioned Rod before. If you’re not reading his blog yet – check it out.
- The Big Picture: From the Boston Globe. Great photography.
- Camera 47: (Hey, wait! How did that sneak in here?)
- Camera Deals: A sub-site of 1001 Noisy Cameras
- Cheap Shots:A photo blog from the GT – the local paper.
- The Digital Camera Top Seller Charts: Another sub-site from 1001 Noisy Cameras
- Digital Photography School: Good tips.
- Digital Pro Talk: More tips.
- The Digital Trekker Blog: Travel / destination photography.
- DIY Photography
- Flying With Fish: Great insights for traveling photographers. He also offers “Boot Camps” so that photogs can experience first hand a big shoot while traveling light and fast on a compressed schedule. Of all the workshops available to photographers (that I know about) – this is the one I think I’d most enjoy.
- Inside Lightroom: From O’Reilly press.
- Joe McNally’s Blog: Joe is the author of “The Moment it Clicks“. I’ll hopefully get a full review of his book soon. It’s one of the few (maybe the only?) book on photography I simply read cover-to-cover.
- Lighting Mods
- Michael Clark Photography: Action / lifestyle photography. While you’re here – look through his quarterly newsletters.
- The Mid’s Watch: This is Tim’s new blog. It has some photos – and some writing. Check it out.
- Nevada Wier Photography: More travel / adventure
- News: Digital Photography Review: In depth reviews for cameras.
- PDNPulse: More good stuff.
And if you like this sort of thing – I’ll try to have more posted soon.